Well it is, and it allows us to take a look at the amount of meat we eat, and also provides us with an excuse for eating even more than usual.
Although it may seem like Americans take the prize for consumption of everything, we actually take second place in terms of meat consumed worldwide; that award goes to Luxembourg, of all places.
Here are 5 ways to celebrate National Meat Month:
1. Try something new. Most people tend to stick to eating beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and fish. This month, vow to expand your culinary horizons by trying something new, such as a buffalo or ostrich burger. Seek out exotic meats and sample them, to see if you may want to dine on them more often.
2. Host a potluck. Host a potluck that is focused on everyone’s favorite meat dishes. This will give everyone the opportunity to sample different types of recipes. Have the guests bring a card that has the recipe on it, for those who would like to serve the dish at home.
3. Exchange recipes. Hold a meat recipe exchange. This is similar to the potluck, only you are not having everyone make the dish. This can be done online or in person. Everyone will share their favorite interesting meat-based recipe.
4. Dine out. There are usually more exotic and interesting meat dishes available when you are dining out than what people are willing to cook at home. This month, opt to dine out at least once to try one of those exotic dishes.
5. Make a family recipe book. This is a great month to gather up all your favorite meat-based family recipes and put them in a collection. That way, future generations have a recipe book filled with family favorite dishes.