You have no items in your shopping cart.
Well it is, and it allows us to take a look at the amount of meat we eat, and also provides us with an excuse for eating even more than usual.
Although it may seem like Americans take the prize for consumption of everything, we actually take second place in terms of meat consumed worldwide; that award goes to Luxembourg, of all places.
Here are 5 ways to celebrate National Meat Month:
1. Try something new. Most people tend to stick to eating beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and fish. This month, vow to expand your culinary horizons by trying something new, such as a buffalo or ostrich burger. Seek out exotic meats and sample them, to see if you may want to dine on them more often.
2. Host a potluck. Host a potluck that is focused on everyone’s favorite meat dishes. This will give everyone the opportunity to sample different types of recipes. Have the guests bring a card that has the recipe on it, for those who would like to serve the dish at home.
3. Exchange recipes. Hold a meat recipe exchange. This is similar to the potluck, only you are not having everyone make the dish. This can be done online or in person. Everyone will share their favorite interesting meat-based recipe.
4. Dine out. There are usually more exotic and interesting meat dishes available when you are dining out than what people are willing to cook at home. This month, opt to dine out at least once to try one of those exotic dishes.
5. Make a family recipe book. This is a great month to gather up all your favorite meat-based family recipes and put them in a collection. That way, future generations have a recipe book filled with family favorite dishes.
Makes 8 servings
The glaze can be made a day ahead; it is intensely flavored, so use it sparingly. Take the roast out of the fridge one hour before cooking. Pairs nicely with Merlot or Australian Shiraz.
1. Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in heavy large saucepan.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
3. Boil until syrupy and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 25 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. (Balsamic glaze can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
5. Position 1 rack in center and 1 rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 325°F.
6. Set meat on rack set in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on center rack and roast until thermometer inserted into center registers 125°F; about 1 hour 40 minutes.
7. Toss potatoes, carrots, and onions with oil in large bowl to coat. Scatter vegetables on large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on lower rack and roast for the last 30 minutes, until tender.
8. Transfer meat to a cutting board; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
9. Mix parsley into vegetables.
10. Cut meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Divide meat slices and vegetables among 8 plates. Drizzle lightly with balsamic glaze and serve.
|Calories 1039||Sodium 231mg (10%)|
|Carbohydrates 48g (16%)||Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
|Fat 67g (103%)||Fiber 5g (22%)|
|Protein 56g (112%)||Monounsaturated Fat 34g
|Saturated Fat 26g (131%)||Cholesterol 193mg (64%)
If you’ve recently made the switch to a healthier lifestyle, then chances are you’ve heard people raving about coconut oil. So, what’s all the hype about and why should you trade in your olive oil for Carrington Farms 100% Organic Pure Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?
First of all, coconuts in general are known for the healthy fats that they provide. Most uninformed people here the word “fat” and get scared off, but it’s important to know that there are healthy fats as well and they should become an important part of your diet. Carrington Farms 100% Organic Pure Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has been deemed as the healthiest oil on earth by nutritionists everywhere for that exact reason. Once you buy coconut oil, you should start opting to use it in recipes as opposed to vegetable oil. For example, for a perfect dessert after dinner you can sauté a banana in coconut oil and you instantly have a healthy and delicious treat without putting harmful ingredients into your body. Carrington Farms 100% Organic Pure Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is simply pressed and bottled so it retains all of its original nutrients that were packed into it, making it the best oil to have in your house, hands down.
Besides for cooking, Carrington Farms 100% Organic Pure Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil can be used to mix together a face mask that will soften your skin. You would never put olive oil onto your face, but that’s the beauty of coconut oil and its myriad of uses. When stocking up your kitchen, you want ingredients that will be good for your body. Coconut oil exemplifies this perfectly by being able to be used on both the outside of your body and the inside. Using Carrington Farms 100% Organic Pure Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is simple: just replace it in any recipe that you would have used other oils for. Sauté your vegetables in it or spread it on your pan before making pancakes. Your body will feel energized and you’ll love what you see!
Being a celiac or voluntarily choosing to live a gluten free lifestyle doesn’t mean that you have to deprive yourself from the foods that you’re used to- it just means that you have to find an alternative. Pasta Cheese has the delicious substitute to wheat pasta and it’s Garofalo Gluten Free Pasta! Made mostly out of corn flour, this pasta still satisfies your macaroni and cheese craving without upsetting your sensitive stomach.
Garofalo Gluten Free Pasta provides you with high quality pasta so you don’t feel like you’re depriving yourself. It even comes in normal pasta shapes so you can disguise your gluten-free pasta and feed it to even the harshest of food critics and they won’t even realize that they’re eating gluten free! Choose from casarecce, penne, or spaghetti and go about as you normally would with a regular pasta recipe, pouring on your sauce of choice and mixing in some melted mozzarella cheese for warm comfort food that will agree with your stomach.
When you’re gluten free, you need food which are gentle on your stomach and that’s exactly what Garofalo Pasta brings you. Your meal will not only feel healthy and sensitive to your allergies, but also like one of artisan quality. Garofalo Gluten Free Pasta will become a regular in your weekly meal menus and it will instantly become a family meal favorite. No one will taste the difference, and you don’t have to tell them your cooking secret! Just remember to keep restocking and to have enough Garofalo Gluten Free Pasta on hand, because everyone will want second servings. After tasting Garofalo, you’ll never be able to eat a different gluten free pasta again- you’ll be addicted for life!
When it comes to healthy cooking, a good idea is to restock your kitchen with the right, healthy ingredients in lieu of unhealthier options, like whole milk with skim milk, sodas with seltzers, and cookies and ice cream for yogurts and fruit.
It takes a change in mindset, but you will find that making these simple changes will help your cooking, improve your health and mind, and you won’t even notice the difference after a while.
A really great alternative to traditional flour pasta is egg white pasta. If you’re looking to lighten your pasta dishes and add a little protein, you definitely should consider trying Cipriani’s High Protein Tagliolini Extra Thin Egg White Pasta for your next meal.
Egg white pasta is a great alternative because it eliminates flour and is lighter in calories. Pasta is known for being heavy in calories and carbs, but you have to admit that there are some really great pasta dishes you really can’t go without. Egg white pasta allows you to enjoy your favorite pasta dishes with a lighter twist.
This egg white pasta is 100% cholesterol free. Egg whites are also naturally gluten free, meaning you couldn’t find a healthier, tastier alternative to flour. Use this egg white pasta to make saucy spaghetti and meatballs, or light chicken pasta with a lemon lime sauce topped off with parmesan cheese.
Egg white pasta is also great in soups and stews. Break up a few strands of this egg white pasta into a chunky chicken soup or into hearty beef stew. If you’re feeling really adventurous, there are also many recipes for desert pastas. The big difference is that your dishes will be healthier and lighter, all from changing one simple ingredient. Your taste buds will only notice the difference for the better.