Makes 8 servings
The glaze can be made a day ahead; it is intensely flavored, so use it sparingly. Take the roast out of the fridge one hour before cooking. Pairs nicely with Merlot or Australian Shiraz.
- 2 2/3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine (such as Chianti)
- 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 pounds red-skinned baby potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 2 medium onions, unpeeled, quartered lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 5-pound boneless rib-eye roast, trimmed and tied, room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Combine vinegar, wine, and sugar in heavy large saucepan.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
3. Boil until syrupy and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 25 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. (Balsamic glaze can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
5. Position 1 rack in center and 1 rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 325°F.
6. Set meat on rack set in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on center rack and roast until thermometer inserted into center registers 125°F; about 1 hour 40 minutes.
7. Toss potatoes, carrots, and onions with oil in large bowl to coat. Scatter vegetables on large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on lower rack and roast for the last 30 minutes, until tender.
8. Transfer meat to a cutting board; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
9. Mix parsley into vegetables.
10. Cut meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Divide meat slices and vegetables among 8 plates. Drizzle lightly with balsamic glaze and serve.
Nutrition Information per serving (8 servings)
|Calories 1039||Sodium 231mg (10%)|
|Carbohydrates 48g (16%)||Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
|Fat 67g (103%)||Fiber 5g (22%)|
|Protein 56g (112%)||Monounsaturated Fat 34g
|Saturated Fat 26g (131%)||Cholesterol 193mg (64%)